Saturday 20 July 2013

Garry Rogers

4/5
Cor Syl the Warrior

Amazon.com
Amazon.UK

I don't like fantasy and when I received this book for review I was going to turn it down, but the cover was interesting. Is that an elderly man overlooking Earth? He's a warrior, I got that from the title, so I would expect a fantasy about warring people, maybe over a kingdom or something. The title is plain: Corr Syl the Warrior and seemed childish in its simplicity. The blurb introduces me to the main character, Corr Syl, who is a young warrior signed to investigate the Danog group who is coming into their district. It isn't until I begin reading the sample that I realise this could be a very powerful book... and its main character is a rabbit.

Watership Down it ain't. It's a futuristic story with the humans (Danog) and intelligently evolved animals who call themselves Tsaeb (beast spelled backwards) and they all live together in semi cooperation. After the strong prologue the first chapter was a little confusing, I didn't understand whether I'd been reading about a battle or a dream that Syl had. It also had a lot of characters. And I have to admit I did struggle with the sample and put the book down several times, but the original concept of evolved animals (humans came from primates, so why not a human type person evolving from rabbits, or other animals?) made me pick it up and persevere. And I'm glad I did.

I thought I was reading a child's book until I got to part one and then something sinister began to take place (Dean Koontz took over the writing - or so it seemed!), the writing and storyline really heated up! The Tsaeb stopped becoming 'silly little animals' and became REAL people. People I could relate to and like.

In part one a spider called Lactella was able to control a Danog by sinking its fangs into the flesh and injecting venom. It was able to 'listen' to thoughts and 'speak' through the said human. It was an interesting turn, but the hook could be too long in coming for some.

Corr Syl and his co-warrior, Rhya (and a bunny love interest) are investigating the Danogs who begin to take an unusual interest in the Tsaeb community. The Danogs have practically ruined Earth, they are stupid (in comparison to the Tsaeb) and are ruled by their desires and when Lactella takes over the body and mind of Ivan Johns the new Mountainview City Manager of the Danogs things begin to hot up and we see Corr Syl battling against a great evil.

Over all, I found Corr Syl the Warrior over written in parts with far too many characters, but it was fascinating to read (from part one). I wouldn't go as far as to say gripping, but it's close enough.

I think people who love fantasy will really enjoy this book.

Blurb:
When an armed Danog patrol crosses the border into Wycliff District, the Wycliff Council sends a young Tsaeb warrior named Corr Syl to investigate and recommend a response. Corr soon learns that spies have infiltrated his district, and already many lives are at risk. He catches a glimpse of something truly evil, and with no time to spare, must choose between a safe response that might fail, and a sure response that might start a global war.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember my reviews are my opinion, and I am a VERY fussy reader.