Saturday 25 February 2012

Prophecy an Arkane Thriller by Joanna Penn

4/5
by Joanna Penn (Link Amazon.com)

Genre: Thriller

I have a tendency to shy away from thrillers and fantasy novels because I just don’t “get them” and I don’t feel able to relate to a story so far removed from my own life experiences. Yet sometimes I’m drawn to try new genres as I was drawn to Joanna Penn’s Prophecy, an Arkane thriller.

This book, Prophecy, was second to Penn’s début novel Pentecost in the Arkane thriller series. It was a stand-alone read although I felt the characterisation may have been left to the first novel, because I couldn’t “see” the main characters and I felt they were a little under-developed.

Prophecy is described as a Dan Brown meets Lara Croft, but as I haven't read anything of Dan Brown I couldn't tell if that was true or not, although Lara Croft/Indiana Jones is a very apt description.

Morgan Sierra and her side-kick Jake Timber take on an organisation called Thanatos, who under the cover of improving mankind with, want to unleash a power that will kill billions of “sub-standard” humans. Thanatos wants to carry on Hitler’s work and remake humankind without imperfections. It’s chilling because, I suppose, it’s been tried and very believable. Morgan and Jake are on a mission to find the Devil's Bible, and stop Thanatos before the final curse is delivered, and right to the end I was left wondering if they will manage it. There were many action scenes along with the more sedate, which took us on a journey to various counties around the world.

Morgan’s group, Arkane, was a brilliant and convincing organisation, I was tempted to Google it to make sure it really was fiction!

The book was intelligent, the pace fast, and over all a very good read for thriller readers. It was very well researched, and I felt I was in the hands of a very competent author. The only reason this didn't make the 5/5 mark was because I couldn't relate to the main characters; but maybe reading the first book will correct this wrong!

Blurb - Prophecy an Akrane Novel (link Amazon UK)

“I looked, and there before me was a pale horse. Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.” Revelation 6:8

The prophecy in Revelation declares that a quarter of the world must die and now a shadowy organization has the ability to fulfill these words. Can one woman stop the abomination before it’s too late?

From the catacombs of Paris to the skeletal ossuaries of Sicily and the Czech Republic, Morgan and Jake must find the Devil's Bible and stop the curse being released into the world before one in four are destroyed in the coming holocaust. Because in just seven days, the final curse will be spoken and the prophecy will be fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember my reviews are my opinion, and I am a VERY fussy reader.