Thursday 31 January 2013

Ty Patterson

The Warrior
Genre: thriller

The cover spoke thriller, and although not a genre I'd head for, the author got the cover right if it TOLD me the genre without reading the blurb. It was strong, no-nonsense and I liked the fact that the guy on the front had his shirt undone!
Amazon.com
Amazon.UK
The blurb was a little long, and I think it lost strength. I don't think the opening line quite worked, either: Zeb Carter is almost your average Private Military Contractor. Almost. If the author cut the first 'almost', it'd make it stand out more. The blurb, imo, needs to match the no-nonsense cover. Short, sharp and strong. 

I checked the look inside feature and found the first line promising, but then it went into monologue about an instrument called a tabla. It could be relevant to the story, but to me, it was the author intruding into the story. From first chapter I could see that the book is written in the present view-point ('he goes outside' as opposed to 'he went outside'), which will give the reader the action as it's happening--a good idea for a thriller, but hard to pull off.

Half way through chapter one I think this author WILL pull of the present view-point. The first chapter is powerful and very visual. It's a thriller in the military world (think Rambo), and the 'The Warrior' is a military contractor Zeb Carter, who is haunted by the violence he witnessed in Congo. He's out for vengeance and hardened (but damaged by his memories), and I can tell he's a well-rounded character.  

But I'll pass on buying this book. Not because of the way its written but just because the genre isn't for me, but I can tell this is a solid book and well-written. No score as I didn't read the entire book.

Blurb:

Zeb Carter is almost your average Private Military Contractor. Almost. 


When working for a WDE (We Don't Exist) Agency, Zeb witnesses a gruesome crime in the Congo and tracks the perpetrators down to New York. Only to discover that not only are they protected by the FBI, but also are closely connected to a very high profile politician.

Ordered to stand down by the FBI, Zeb finds that his hunt brings those close to him in the sights of the killers. 

A thriller that spans Congo and New York, The Warrior is dotted with gritty action, a central character that fuels imagination, and a supporting cast of great colorful characters.

The Warrior is about relentless determination and a burning need to avenge and to deliver retribution against all odds. The Warrior is not just about action but also about character build up and the clash of differing values and how those clashes affect outcomes. Lastly, The Warrior is about the brotherhood of warriors.

The first in the Zeb Carter and Broker series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember my reviews are my opinion, and I am a VERY fussy reader.