Tuesday 13 August 2013

K.C. Ball

Amazon.com
Amazon.UK
Lifting up Veronica

I loved this cover it drew me in utterly. It was beautifully illustrated and spoke contemporary yet intrigue too. The title only enforced this belief, so when the blurb tells me it's suspense set in the 60s I'm a little surprised. But I can't take my eyes off that cover! Love it. I'd advise the author to have her name a little larger though because it's completely obscure.

The opening line in the blurb is powerful: The smaller the town, the bigger the drama. A great promo line for Twitter! I think the blurb is almost spot-on for pulling in readers, but this line Mix in an assistant looking for fame and a beautiful woman who longs to become a mother, and it's a recipe for disaster... is contemporary ie 'chatty'. What am I about to read?


The opening in the look inside bit was disappointing. An epilogue is usually obscure, but it IS meant to intrigue a reader and draw them in. I wasn't drawn, at all.  Chapter one was better and I began to get to know the characters and the mean lead, Michael Kovac. He's come to West Virginia to film a documentary about a Christian sect and their handling of venomous snakes in their sermons. On this basis, I bought the book.

It's very atmospheric with the era wonderfully drawn. I could visualize myself in 1960 West Virginia, such was the strength of the writing, but, and it's a big 'but' Lifting up Veronica has a lot of characters and many with their own POV. It becomes even more confusing when the author uses their first and then the last name to identify them--and then there are the nicknames. 

Michael and Irene's attraction seemed a little sudden, but maybe I missed a bit. I'm finding I'm skipping pages to get the main points in the book. It's a slow burner, for sure, and might appeal more to fans of literary fiction.

I'm afraid I only got as far as chapter six. I didn't find any of the characters appealing enough to make me want to stay with them. It's a shame, and I don't think it has anything to do with the writing it's just one of those things because the genre isn't for me.

I haven't starred the book because I haven't read the book fully.

Blurb:
The smaller the town, the bigger the drama. In the summer of 1960, sociologist Michael Kovac travels to an old acquaintance's hometown in rural West Virginia to shoot footage for a documentary about Signs Followers — a Christian sect best known for their practice of handling venomous snakes. When money changes hands and the church elders are divided, Michael's involvement could lead to jail or worse. Mix in an assistant looking for fame and a beautiful woman who longs to become a mother, and it's a recipe for disaster...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember my reviews are my opinion, and I am a VERY fussy reader.